In March, I joined my parents and Marlene for yet another Alan McKay adventure. Our destination this time was a Civil War Tour, starting in Richmond, Virginia and then to Fredericksburg, Manassass, Harpers Ferry, Antietam, Gettysburg and Washington DC. One of the reasons I was so excited was we were SUPPOSED to be in DC for the cherry blossoms! In all the times I have been back, I have never seen the cherry blossoms so I was very excited....but we'll get back to that later. It was a VERY informational/educational tour and I learned so much! (Should've done more homework before I left so I was prepared for all that information!)
There is so much history back there and I'm thankful I have been able to experience so much of it. I will break the trip down into day posts otherwise it would be one extremely lengthy post. Buckle your seatbelts and keep your hands inside the ride at all times....here we go!
Day 1 - Fly, Fly, Fly. We flew from SLC to Richmond with a layover in Detroit. When we got into Virginia we found Marlene, some dinner and called it a night. No sleeping in on Alan tours!
Day 2 - Bright and early we were loaded on the bus with our happy faces.
See, these are our happy faces.
Our first stop was the Virginia State Capitol, which served as the capitol of the Confederacy during the war.
It was inside the Old Senate Chamber where Robert E. Lee accepted the command of the Army of Virginia.
A monument for George Washington. The bottom part is an empty tomb that was intended for the burial site of George. It is empty because he chose to be buried at his home in Mount Vernon.
In 1869, this 90-foot high granite pyramid was built as a memorial to the more than 18,000 enlisted men of the Confederate Army buried in the cemetery.
Also buried here, the President of the Confederacy, Jefferson Davis.
And two Presidents of the United States, James Monroe...
...and John Tyler.
Our next stop was Fredericksburg, Virginia. We first stopped to see this auction block from Civil War times, from which slaves were sold. Eerie.
*Side note, one day I WILL own a Lexus and I will purchase it from LINDSAY LEXUS of ALEXANDRIA.
It's been my plan for years and one of these days it will work out, you just wait and see!
Then it was onto the grounds of the Battle of Fredericksburg. Here many Union soldiers lost their lives trying to protect Prospect Hill.
Stone Wall along Sunken Road....this part of the wall is original
Fredericksburg Cemetery
And that completes days 1-2, stay tuned for more history lesson. Take notes, there will be a quiz at the end.
















1 comments:
Pretty jealous of all these fun tour trips you get to go on. Maybe one day I can attend!
Post a Comment