Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Washington DC, yes...AGAIN!

I know what you are all thinking, she went to DC AGAIN? And the answer is YES. But in my defense, that was only my 7th time back, and if you figure I've lived 27 years, 7 times REALLY isn't all that much! But why, some of you are asking yourselves, do I continue to go back time after time- and the answer is: because I LOVE IT. Some people get what I'm saying, some people DON'T, and that's ok. I love the history there, and the architecture of the old buildings, I love that MOST of the time I know where I'm going but at the same time, I find something new everytime I go back. And of course, I love that my dad continues to have meetings there that gives me a purpose to go back. This year our "purpose" was the National Farmers Union Fly-In and I even participated!! Hollie came back again with us, because apparently my love for the place is contagious, who knew?? Here's some pics from our latest adventure!


Our first night there we had dinner at some fancy schmancy restaurant, I couldn't understand hardly anything on the menu, and what I could just sounded disgusting. I ordered a salad, sounded safe enough...it was not good to say the least, so while trying to find the Five Guys that was supposed to only be 2 minutes away, according to my phone - we got lost and found the White House instead. *I did eventually find my Five Guys and it was the most delicious burger I have ever had, probably because I was STARVING after the search to find it!

Our metro stop, we normally stay in the same hotel, but we stayed in a different one this time...see, we try and mix it up each time!

Bazz introduced us to the Eastern Market and since my parents and the rest of the crew had never been, we went to check it out. Unfortunately it decided to rain that day, so it wasn't quite as fun, but we made the best of it. Best part was, my apples were there! Virginia's Honey Crisp apples are seriously the best apples on the planet! *We don't buy them, instead we just walk back and forth along this row trying free samples from all the different vendors! Sneaky, right??

After the market, and still during the rain - we went to our first Washington Nationals game! I don't know what it was, but once I saw the park I got so excited - rain and all! Maybe it's because I had so much fun at the Yankees game I went to way back when...but regardless, the Nat's game wasn't nearly as crowded as the Yankees game I went to, but that could have something to do with the rain situation. Long story short tho, I had a blast at the game and can't wait to go to more!

Mom, Patrece, Johnny hiding and my Pa

Me and Hollie - and some peanuts.
Then it was off to dinner at Tortilla Coast, a personal fave of ours. (another thanks to Bazz)

Our official spot to take pictures!

Old Town Alexandria

At the waterfront in Old Town

The Masonic Temple in Old Town, meant to go there but ran out of time...See, now I just have to go back!!

Trying fried green tomatoes at Founding Farmers World Warr II and Lincoln Memorials
The Library of Congress - I was diggin the clouds!

This is the day I went to work! The purpose of the trip is for Farmers Union members to go to lobby farm issues to the members of the Senate and the House. Johnny decided to put my secretary skills to work, and I was in charge of taking notes and filling out our form to turn back into the NFU. I actually had a lot of fun, it was very interesting. Here we are with Congressman Rob Bishop, I think he was super stoked to be taking a picture with us!

Our lobbying crew, minus my dad who went to be cool and lobby with the other boys.

And here's how we spent almost every afternoon, Hollie passed out and me reading my Hunger Games book - how awesome are we?
It's our tradition now to go to Crystal City (Bazz's old stomping ground) on our last night there and eat at Ted's then Cold Stone. Super good times!
So full, choking down ice cream...
And of course - can't forget our dear friend Ronald.
Last day there we checked out the Bureau of Printing and Engraving, where we watched them make lots and lots of money, one guy even pretended to share with us - but didn't. Kindof rude if you ask me.
Checked out the tidal basin and waved at the Jefferson Memorial.

And last but not least, had to have lunch at Ben's Chili Bowl.

So the week before we left, I was watching State of Play (Ben Affleck, Russell Crowe, Rachel McAdams) - and in the movie, Russell goes to this place, and from the movie you can tell it's a HAPPENING place, so I thought to myself, "self, is this real?" - so I googled it and discovered this is a LANDMARK in DC and I had never been. So I checked with my dad, he too had never been so we decided this must be fixed. It's a little bit out of town, in an area we had never been, but now we can cross that off our list! We walked in and there were tons of people and the music was playing super loud, I thought, there is no way my mom is going to be up for this...but the people there were SUPER nice and found us a table in the back that was big enough for all 8 of us (where it was quieter too, so I knew my mom would survive) and seriously, the atmosphere and the people made it a place to remember!! I went home and went to that part of the movie and what do you know, it was the same people that were there when we went. *I meant to take a picture with them, but when we went to leave, they got busy...But trust me, I'm pretty much famous now!


Then it was off to the airport and time to head home. Thanks to my parents (and Farmers Union I guess too) for giving me a reason to go back, I loved every minute of it!

That's all folks...

2 comments:

Ticey said...

Geez I was beginning to think you moved there with how often you visit :) I still hope to go one day and since you know the place so well maybe you could take me and show me everything!

Alicia said...

This is Ben's wife Alicia (Berlin) So I know this is super random but I had to find your blog because I swear that I saw you in DC and sure enough I did!! I saw you at the Lincoln Memorial and you are even in the background of one of my pictures. I kept having Ben see if it was you but your back was always turned...
I had to comment because I thought that was super random!:) Looks like you guys had fun!